Yoruba Community of Connecticut (YCC) was founded in August 2003. It was established after some notable and reputable Yoruba individual of likely minds reasoned together and agreed together to have a Yoruba forum in the State of Connecticut in the summer of the year.
YCC is a registered non profit organization and being managed according to Section 501 C(3) of the Internal Revenue Service Code of the United State of America.
The Mission, Objective, and Goal of YCC are:
- To engage in community development activities that enhances the educational, cultural, social, civil activities, and other related programs of the community that stress education, fairness and other positive attributes.
- To promote the principles of good citizenship by performing lawful acts necessary to be done or performed for the complete conduct of the Organization as authorized under the General Statues of the State of Connecticut.
- To create and foster spirit of understanding among those of Yoruba descent and the people of Nigeria in USA.
- To take active interest in educational, social, cultural, and civil activities that would benefit those of Yoruba descent residing in Connecticut and in the American communities as a whole.
- To award scholarships based on availability of funds, to children of members, or to other children as determined by the organization.
- To enter into, made and perform contracts of every kind for any lawful purpose, with any person, firm, association or incorporation, Government, Town or City, political body, territory or colony or dependency thereof.
- To carry any other objective or purpose set forth in the organization’s Certificate of Incorporation
Since, inception apart from fostering understanding, love ,harmony and cooperation among members, all Yoruba descendant in Connecticut and the community at large YCC is also making tremendous contributions both in USA and Nigeria in area of Education, Healthcare services and community development.
These contributions among many are:
*Annual support of Kateri Medical Services inc. that provides healthcare to some less fortunate citizens in Nigeria
*Annual sponsoring of individual youth as approved by the house to Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) to qualify students through Kaplan.
*Donation to African Partnership Education in Kaduna, Nigeria
*Donation to Orphanage Organisation in India
*Donations of Exercise books to schools in Nigeria
*Donation of healthcare consumable supplies (diapers, gloves, sanitizers) to
-Igbobi Orthopedic Hospital, Nigeria
-Ikotun General Hospital, Nigeria.
*Donations of Consumable to Hospitals in Nigeria
*Tutoring and training members children in Yoruba culture, norm and moral
*Participating in annual Juneteenth Anniversary Parade of Fairfield
*Stipend awards for student with best GPA in High School
*Promoting and participating in social cultural activities, such as: Annual Picnic, End of year party, and individual ceremonial engagements among many.
Thank to the founding members for their wisdom and initiative.
The past and present Executives are also appreciated for their contribution toward the achievement and success of YCC so far.
I use this opportunity to invite our site visitors and viewers to consider becoming a member of YCC or assist us financially by donating toward our humanitarian assignments. God bless.